Platte Canyon High
Science Safety Rules and Procedures Agreement
1. Perform the
experiments as directed. Do not do anything which is not part of an approved
experimental procedure. Follow all instructions given by your teacher or adult
2. Be properly prepared to do the experiment. Read and/or discuss the procedures in advance and understand what you are doing to do. Lack of familiarity wastes your time and is a major cause of injury. Know the hazards before you do the experiment.
3. Never work without adult supervision.
4. Wear appropriate protective equipment. An apron and eye goggles are to be worn at all times.
5. Know the locations and operation of emergency equipment in the room: eye wash, fire extinguisher, fire blanket, and first aid kit. Know what to do in an emergency.
6. Act in a responsible manner at all times. No horseplay or fooling around should occur in the laboratory area.
7. Wear leather shoes which cover the entire foot. No sandals or canvas shoes. Clothing should not be loose and floppy.
8. Tie back long hair to keep it away from flames and chemicals.
9. Never taste or touch a chemical.
10. Turn off your Bunsen burner or other heat source whenever you are not using it. Never let it operate unattended.
11. Be cautious around metal and glassware that may be hot. It is impossible to tell if these items are hot just by looking at them. Treat burns immediately by putting the burned area under cold water for at least 15 minutes.
12. Read the chemical labels very carefully. Read them 3 times; when you pick it up, just before you use it; and after you are finished. Many mistakes, some dangerous, result from mixing the wrong chemicals.
13. Eating or drinking in the laboratory is forbidden.
14. Report all accidents, injuries, and close-calls to your teacher immediately.
15. Dispose of chemicals properly. Ask the teacher about correct disposal. Broken glass need to be disposed of in a safe manner, also.
16. Never return unused reagents to the reagent bottle. Be careful to take only what you actually need. Do not contaminate the reagents.
17. Clean up all spills immediately after checking with teacher about proper procedure.
18. List your allergies on the bottom of this page. If the experiment deals with something to which you are allergic, consult with your teacher.
19. Never take chemicals, supplies, or equipment out of the laboratory without the knowledge and consent of the teacher.
20. Wash off chemicals splashed or spilled on your skin or body immediately for 15 minutes. Notify your teacher immediately.
21. Clean your lab area, put away all equipment and reagents and wash your hands at the end of each laboratory session.